Friday, December 17, 2010

I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You-Kate Nash

This cover, of "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You" is one of my favorite songs of all time.  I first heard the original track on the "Jennifer's Body" soundtrack.  It's a great soundtrack, all though the movie was a bit of a joke, the songs were as real as it gets. This one song, is by The Black Kids, and no it is not a band of black people ( I believe that the lead singer is half and so is his sister, so that makes one black kid?). What does this song have on the original you ask? Not the actual beat since it is acoustic, but the wonderful stylings of Kate Nash, an English woman, with a real English accent, which I find kinda cute.  Kate Nash has many top hits like Foundations and Merry Happy, where she talks about her rocky relationships with various guys.  Not to spoil the song but it's of a guy who refuses to teach some girl's boyfriend how to dance with her. In real people terms, it's of a guy who has a female friend who he is utterly crazy about (notice my use of the word utterly: it's very English, like Kate Nash, I did not put it there to take up a word, (if I wanted to do that I would've put the word, "word", word)). This song is very out of Kate's element, but she does an amazing job. So, if you've ever been even a little bit crazy about someone, who was taken, this is the song for you. :)

PS. Mr. McCarthy, look how early I did this blog!


2 comments:

  1. Big fan of The Black Kids! I have no idea how I came across them, but I remember getting their first music in 2006 or 2007. Very clever, but simple lyrics. He's not a singer, but can sing. So many paradoxes...all-in-all a good band with great music. The Kate Nash version...well, that's going to take a while to grow on me. I'll download and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear this song covered by Kate.

    ReplyDelete