Monday, October 25, 2010

The Moment I knew I was an American

Being born in America, I always knew that if I was to claim any nationality, it'd be American.  Saying that I am an American was easy, but the question was, what do I do that makes me so American?  At first, I had no answer, beyond the fact that I was born in America.  Then after I thought about it, there are many things that make me an American.  The most important, is that I was born and raised by the American culture.  I listen to American music, eat American food, go to American events, and I know a lot about my country.  Not only am I accustomed to the American ways of life, but I take pride in my country and I believe in America as a strong nation.  I see America as a growing country of diversity and in time I think that America's economy will strive and everyone can all work together in unison.  Since I have been an American my whole life, I understand that not everything in America is perfect and there are many things that need to be fixed before we can become the nation that our founding fathers dreamed about.  The moment that I knew that I was an American was when I wanted to help and make these things happen, and the dream come true.

3 comments:

  1. But what if you were an illegeal immigrant who was brought here as a child, but was still raised by an American culture. Would you be qualified as an American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious:
    If you listen to European music, visit Europe or go to European events (in America), and eat European food, and know alot about Europe, does that mean you're European?
    Does your interests dictate your nationality, your background? How can you say, "I'm American because I like American things."? Or am I taking this the wrong way?
    Correct me if neccessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have to be born in America to be an American?

    ReplyDelete